Posted on Leave a comment

The importance of changing your passenger car engine oil

Top lubricant manufacturers like Shell, Q8, Mobil and Morris produce a wide range of passenger engine oils for use in a diverse selection of models and makes. These carefully formulated and built-for-purpose oils have been developed to ensure car engines are always maintained in the most optimum condition, while providing the maximum level of defence against wear and corrosion and a clean system.

Around 70 percent of this lubricant consists of a base oil, while the other 30 percent is made up of specially formulated additives providing enhanced anti-wear, detergent, and antioxidant capabilities.

Vehicles using specific passenger car engine oil

Regular changes of passenger car engine oil are crucial, whether it is lubricating a car used for personal use or a vehicle that is part of a fleet. To ensure top performance from a vehicle’s engine, it is always wise to consult the car’s manual, examine product descriptions or ask advice from expert retailers or auto mechanics to make sure you’re using the best oil for the job.

The four key functions of passenger car engine oil

Passenger car engine oil has four main jobs to perform, and a quality brand suited for your make and model will be able to accomplish all of them successfully.

As with any other piece of machinery, a car’s engine will suffer wear and tear over time when it is being used. Metal parts will rub together, causing friction that generates heat, leading to wear occurring prematurely. The oil lubricates the car engine, keeping it in good working order.

Firstly, it reduces friction, improving engine performance and reducing fuel use. Secondly, it lowers the temperature of the engine keeping it cool. Thirdly, it should protect parts and surfaces from acid and corrosion attacks. Finally, an efficient oil will maintain the engine’s overall cleanliness. This is achieved by removing any impurities building up over time.

Why is changing passenger car engine oil so important?

Over time a passenger car’s engine oil will get used up and will need to be replaced. This change-over is crucial for drivers who wish to maintain high-performance levels in their engine, which means it can be among the most critical tasks to perform to keep a car running in top condition. How often a person will be required to change their oil will depend on the current condition of the car and driving habits.

An oil change typically involves removing the old oil filter and oil and replacing it with a new filter and oil. While this can be a simple procedure to perform, you should make certain you are well prepared and confident in your abilities.

If you are at all unsure, it can be a task best left to professionals at service stations. Passenger car engines will typically require between three and seven litres of new oil added after the old oil has been drained, however this can be as much as 12 litres in vehicles equipped with a dry oil sump.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.