Posted on Leave a comment

TotalEnergies reaffirms commitment to Lebanon’s Block 9

Banner 3 Recommendations scaled

While hosting Lebanon’s Minister of Energy and Water, His Excellency Walid Fayad, TotalEnergies CEO Patrick Pouyanné confirmed that teams had been mobilised to take charge of drilling operations in the country’s exploration Block 9.

TotalEnergies owns a 60% stake in Block 9, with Eni holding the remaining 40%. The two companies recently signed a framework agreement with the State of Israel that would allow them to progress with exploring the block based on the maritime boundary recently agreed between Israel and Lebanon.

At the time, Pouyanné said that as the Block 9 operator, his company:

“…is proud to be associated with the peaceful definition of a maritime border between Israel and Lebanon. By bringing our expertise in offshore exploration, we will respond to the request of both countries to assess the materiality of hydrocarbon resources and production potential in this area.”

TotalEnergies, which also makes industrial products like the Total metalworking fluids and food safe lubricants, currently has 10 people working on preparations for the field, in addition to the operations manager. By April next year, it expects to have a mobilised team of over 20 employees based in Beirut. The company has also started inviting tenders for a drilling rig, with one expected to be chosen early next year.

By the end of June 2023, the environmental studies are expected to have been completed, with offshore resources already being mobilized to help with this. Finally, the company has begun to pre-order the necessary equipment for the well from suppliers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.